Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Misal Pao and the never ending quest..

I like to think of my self a connoisseur of food and drinks.. A self proclaimed defender and evangelist of all thats edible and tasty!!!
What can I say.. I am intrigued by cooking.. the preparation and consumption of culinary delights inspires in me a longing to stand along side those white apron clad chosen few whose magic can transform basic ingredients to works of art... I have made it a conscious policy to try the most contemporary and unorthodox cuisine every where I go. But nothing intrigues me more than that basic dish I find down and under here in Maharashtra.. The erstwhile "Misal Pao"..

I feel every dish tells a story.. how it came about, what is its history and what lead for it to be the way it is.. But try as I might I am yet to find a logical explanation as to how this dish can exist..
Biryani I can understand is a logical combination - meat and rice, rice and meat.. one goes with the other.. its symbiotic and natural.. simple..
But what kind of special genius did it take for someone to take namkeen or farsan (I really don't know another word for this), sweat inducing spicy curry with enough grease to attract an oiling rig (Sample, yes thats the name.. leaves you wondering why.. ) and twin loaves of plain Indian bread (pao) and actually come up with something edible and more importantly tasty!!

Genius.. Sheer genius!!! Disgusting and awesome at the same time!!! It defies all logic! These are just a few of the thoughts that go through my head each time I get the opportunity to grace my table with this freak of culinary awesomeness!! With each superheated mouthful my stomach cries for mercy but my tastebuds crave for more..

How is this dichotomy possible..? Why can't I stop myself? Just some questions for which answers I guess will never be found... So I will just have to contend myself with slurping my hot cuppa of "cutting" masala chai and bowl of ultra spicy misal-pao with its unbroken promise of absolutely 0% nutrition but 100% culinary satisfaction... !!

As famous chef and television show host Anthony Bourdain puts it.. "It hurts so good...!!!"

No comments: